Friday, December 30, 2011

My Fav Friday - Childhood Flashback; McDonalds Playground

OMG!!!!

How sad is this?  My son, 8, just brought me up a little Lego character that reminded me of the McDonald's Hamburglar. 

This was our conversation.

Me: Oh how cute it looks like the Hamburgler.
Son: What? What did you just say?  I don't understand what you are saying.
Me: The Hamburgler.  You know from McDonalds?
Son: Huh?  What is that?
Me: One of the McDonalds characters like Mayor Cheeseburger, and Grimace.
Son: Huh?

I proceed to pull up a picture of the Hamburgler on Google, and he's still clueless.  OMG!!!  He's never seen these characters I grew up with.  I use to love to go to McDonalds when I was little and play on the metal playscapes they had.

Do you remember the Mayor Cheeseburger tower?  I loved climbing in this metal wonderland.  There is an opening at the base of the tube with a ladder that leads up to the cheeseburger jail, where you could crawl around in a circle, or you could continue to climb up to the holes in the hat and look out.  Do you recall I said this was metal?  So this was the most fun in the summer when it was super hot, and you got to cook yourself while paying inside.  Ah, what memories.  :-)
 
Then you have the whiplashing fun of riding a Fry Guy or Filet o'fish. 



Then there were the lovely, burn your butt, and back of thighs, in the heat of a desert summer, slides.


This one (below) holds a close place in my heart, not as much fun as the Mayor Cheeseburger tower, but I'm reminded of it on a daily basis....seriously.  I've been scared.  Literally.  Now I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but it was the same set up; slide and stairs side by side.  I was a kid, and doing things I wasn't suppose to like climbing over and jumping off the back of the playscape, then proceeded to crawl underneath and I hit my head on a metal corner underneath the slide.....and started bleeding.  Nope, no stitches necessary, but I have a lovely little scar, reminder of it on my head a few inches up from my forehead.  Ah the nostalgia of it all.


Do any of you have fond memories of the McDonald's playgrounds from way back when?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm just a weee bit older, lol. But it's nice to read about your memories and the sharing them with your son :o).
    I was raised in the boonies (where did that word come from?) Trees, rocks as big as small houses and grapevines were my play ground. They did get a mcdonalds in my home town when my oldest niece was in high school...she's 42.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought the filet o fish ride at an antique shop today. I'm in heaven. It's in my living room as I type this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete