Saturday, December 31, 2011

Looking back at the year

Wow!  What a year!

This time last year there were so many things I didn't even think I would be doing this year.  It's strange thinking back at how this year transpired.  Most contributed by inspiration from other blogs.  Thank you all.  You can see "My List of Inspiration" on the bottom right side of these post.

Out of the blue I started this blog the day after New Year; which now has a fantastic 62 followers; whom are not related to me, nor have I ever met.  You visit, read, and occasionally comment.  Thank you!  How cool, and weird is that?  Plus I've written 130 post, including this post.  Which is very weird in itself since I'm pretty anti-social.  I'm not much of a talker, but I do think I write somewhat better than I speak.  My mind thinks faster than I can talk, and words always get tangled up on my tongue.

vintage sheets
I've started thrifting at local thrift stores, garage and estate sales; in search of vintage loveliness.  Also, I started selling on Etsy, with 55 sales this year.  I've even started collecting vintage sheets.

The strangest thing this year, to me, is I'm attempting a quilt....well the vintage sheet thing is pretty out there too.  Soo many sheets! I'm up to 62 sheets, not counting pillow cases or sheets I've completely sold out of on Etsy.  You can view some of my collection on Flickr, and buy some fat quarter bundles on Etsy.

Accuquilt Go! Baby
The quilt thing, to me in the past, didn't seem like my cup of tea.  For whatever reason it wasn't appealing to me.  Maybe all the cutting, or it just looked like too much work, and the cost of fabric.  I can't imagine how much a quilt from regular/retail fabric would cost (well, yeah I can imagine).  Then I won my little Accuquilt Go Baby.  Then my daughter wanted one of my vintage sheets for her bed. Then it went from there.  I started a quilt using the Go Baby to cut over a thousand squares in hopes to make my daughter a vintage sheet quilt for her bed.
Three 9x9 blocks for my vintage sheet quilt
My current goal regarding the vintage sheet quilt is to have it done my February 1st, my daughters birthday.  Seems like that's really close, but it should be do-able.  I just need to get off my hibernating ass (Christmas has me drained), and get to work. 

This is a not a complete list but I figured it would be cool, at least for me, to see what I accomplished sewing wise this year.
full apron
bags/purses/totes
7 half aprons (two of which were Christmas presents finished on Christmas Eve, and I didn't take any photos of them)
star fruit pillow
7 folding coin purses
14+ bags, purses, totes
4 clutches
3 pin cushions
9+ zipped coin purses
2 eye mask
tooth fairy pillow
1 chalk board mat
6 lavender pillow sachets
1 storage fabric box/bag
1 dress (attempt)
1 tiered skirt
1 Halloween costume (skirt, vest, peasant top)
1 alteration of a bridesmaid dress 
4 shirt hem (shorten the length of the shirts)
5 magic jean hems
tiered skirt
storage fabric box/bag
1 dress hem
1 lego drawstring bag

eye mask
star fruit pillow


clutch

Damn!  This is kinda crazy.  My goal for this year was a project a
week, which I know I didn't accomplish, but does it count when you have multiple sewing projects in one week?  That's over 90 items created/things done, and those are just the one's I remembered or were reminded of when I referenced back through my blog.  I had forgotten some of the stuff I blogged about, like the pot holders and the monster tooth pillow.  Sadly I also haven't posted everything I've made.

I'm not one who really likes to set goals, since I'm a spur of the moment/last minute type of person, but I really do want to finish my daughters vintage sheet quilt by February 1st.  Plus, this might seem kinda lame, but I do want to put myself on a budget to get myself out of debt, it's just I tend not to be disciplined to well in that area.  Sigh.


Wow!  This has been a crazy year.  Lets see what 2012 has in store for us.  Do you have any goals for the New Year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment