Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Super Crazy Bead Score!

Holy Cow!!!!  I scored the mother load of beads. 

I might have previously, briefly mentioned that I'm a member of an awesome group/team called Craft Riot (as of January this year).  It's a super awesome team of crafters/artist who give tips and tricks of the trade.  From ups and downs through the learning processes of being a handmade entrepreneur, to keeping you in the know of shows/markets to be a vendor at.

So last week one of the members did a shout out, on Facebook, that she had a whole bunch of beads and findings that she wanted to get rid of for FREE.  Yup you heard me.  F.R.E.E.  I immediately responded and said I wanted some of her loot.

The next day I did a drive by her house and checked out the plethora of goodies she had left on her porch.  She had 12 one gallon bags packed full of beads.  I initially told her I would take 2-4 bags just in case there were others who wanted some, but she told me to take "as many" as I wanted.  So I took 5.

I knew these bags were heavy as I sorted through them, but I didn't realize the weight of them until I tried to pick up the reusable bag I put them in.  It was super heavy, 50+ lbs heavy.  Yeah, I got 50+ lbs of free beads.  HOLY COW!

Check them out.

This is just from an itty bitty bag inside of one of the gallon bags.

Five gallon bags of beads.
Some glass beads.


My sister started to sort some of the Rose Quartz.

I like these shell type O beads. 
Now, if any of you have read my generic "about me" page I've stated that I'm a frequently resurrected crafter.  I go into my phases of certain crafts(as well as no crafts) and beaded jewelry has been one of them,  along with crocheting and wing making.  So now I have what seems like the never ending tub of beads I'm gonna have to dig in and create something with.  Of course I will have to battle my kids to get to the beads. Fortunately, though, it looks like we all have different taste, and so far it doesn't look like we will be competing for the same beads.  My son is even intrigued with this stash.  He's found some fish beads, and fishing is his thing right now.

Well, I haven't got around to making anything with these beads just yet, but I'll share with you a couple of  my necklace attempts of yesteryears.



I really liked how these particular necklaces had turned out, however I never got around to figuring out how to prevent the beading wire from poking you in the back of the neck were the clasp was.  There was always a little pointy piece sticking out that made the necklaces uncomfortable to wear.  Any tips?  It's been about 8 years since I've done these, and I haven't Googled anything recently on how to finish a necklace, since I haven't been in the beading craft for so long. 

Let's see how long it takes for me to tackle a project with these beads.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow is right! How lucky are you? Looks like you have some really beautiful expensive ones there, not just cheap plastic crap. I would love some proper glass or gemstone beads to make earrings with (I'm yet to attempt necklaces). Link up any crafty posts once you've done a project to my Ta-dah Tuesday party.
    x

    ReplyDelete