The Weekender Travel Bag is a pattern by Amy Butler that I've been
When the pattern arrived I already had my main fabric choice picked out. A little over a year ago, before blogging, I had scored a whole bunch of fabric at a garage sale two houses down from me. I had scored almost three yards of some home decor Waverly, vintage, fabric ($5 for a bag full of fabric). I've used some of this fabric on a previous project, Phoebe Bag, so what I had left was just barely over two yards, much less than what the Weekender Travel bag called for, but I was determined to see what I could get out of it.
I opted to use the vintage fabric for as much as I could for the interior and exterior; I wanted to keep cost down. Ha, but that didn't happen. Well, I guess I did since I didn't have to buy two yards of exterior fabric, and I spent three days buying the other supplies from Joann's using my phone app 40% off coupons. You know, one day buy two items using the two 40% off coupons, Peltex (interfacing, some fabric) using the 40% off any single cut coupon, and the 40% off any notion (zipper, template plastic, cording). This seems like it could be a hassle, but Joann's is right around the block from me so I'd run by before I picked up the kids up from school.
Tuesday night. My two large panels were completed, large pockets in place, with pipping, and straps. I just finished sewing in my zipper into the top panels and it looked great. So pleased with how the zipper came out. Then I looked at the picture on the pattern. Hmmmm? The top panel assembly with the zipper didn't appear to be the same shape as what I just completed. It was almost inverted, or the opposite shape of what was shown. The pattern showed a narrow center with wide ends, and what I had was a wide center with narrow ends. Huh?
|What my top panel looked like.|
|What the top panel SHOULD look like. Ugh! *Sniff Sniff*|
|See? It was so pretty. So sad to seam rip it all.|
For a second I wondered what would happen if I continued the pattern with my inverted top panel. Would the pattern still piece together? If so what would be the downside to it? Then it clicked. Take the panels apart, remove the zipper, seam rip all the stitches, cut the panels in half, then re-attach the correct way.
Holy Cow! This worked!!!!! YAY!!!! I was sooo happy. Granted I have two seams that shouldn't be on this bag, but I didn't have to buy anymore supplies, and I got this fixed that night (after all the taking apart....you know how cumbersome seam ripping can be. Especially when you've reinforced around a zipper).
|Top panel cut in half and attached the correct way. |
|Unfinished bag |
|You could see on the seam on the top panel where I had to cut and sew the panel back together.|
|Side bag pocket.|
I'd love to make another one, but it will be awhile due to the cost of all the supplies. At least I have one, and that makes me happy.